One of the most challenging things a man can do is to select an engagement ring for their fiancée. There are many questions that need to be addressed, such as, “Will she like the ring?” and “Can I afford to buy a suitable item?” If you are planning to pop the question in the near future and are concerned about the ring selection, here are some common mistakes to avoid.
- Buying the Wrong Size – This is a common occurrence, as many men assume the ring size based on her height and weight, yet some women have a bigger build than others and making a mistake like this will put a serious damper on your proposal. There are a number of ways to ensure you know her ring size, which include “borrowing: a ring that she wears on the third finger of her left hand, or measuring the finger with a piece of string. You can also enlist the help of one of her friends, which would ensure you don’t buy a ring that is too large or small.
- Failure to Set a Budget – If you start looking at engagement rings with no real figure in mind, you will likely end up paying more than you can afford. An online search will reveal a wide selection of diamond engagement rings at prices to suit every budget, and buying from an online jeweller will ensure you do not pay more than you should.
- Unsure of Her Taste in Jewellery – It is crucial that you have a good idea of her taste in jewellery if you want to be sure that she will love wearing the ring. This is not difficult, as all you have to do is take note of the jewellery she wears on a daily basis, while enlisting the help of her best friend will also ensure you get it right. You may want to get her one of those engagement rings with pink diamonds from Diamonds.co.nz which will be perfect if your girlfriend likes something unique and pretty.
- Lack of Knowledge About Diamonds – Purchasing diamonds demands that you at least understand the basics of diamond grading – the 4Cs, which are the cut, clarity, colour and carat. Do some online research on understanding diamond grading and make sure that the stones you buy have GIA Certification. By sourcing a reputable online jeweller, you are all but eliminating the risk of purchasing inferior stones and if you really want to impress your partner, why not have a diamond ring custom made?
- Lack of Practicality – While a diamond engagement ring with raised stones might look great, it is likely that the prong settings will catch on fabric, which causes the stone setting to loosen. Choose a setting that does not have sharp edges and always remember that she will want to wear this ring at all times, so the design must be very durable.
If you follow the above advice when looking at diamond engagement rings, the process should be smooth, and by ensuring the ring size is correct and she likes the style, your wedding proposal should be one that is remembered for all the right reasons.